Teach, Learn, Course Design Online (TLC): January 28 - February 11, 2019 (2-Week Online Course)
TLC: Teach, Learn, Course Design Online is a fully online, 2-week faculty development course focusing on the best practices of hybrid and online teaching and learning. This intense course will cover the hybrid/online mindset shift, framing and designing a hybrid/online course, active learning strategies, aligned assessments, and ongoing resources. TLC will run from Monday, January 28 to Monday, February 11. Be prepared to complete 12-14 hours of online work each week of the course.
Monday, January 28 - February 11, 2019
TLC is held fully online so that faculty can experience learning online using Canvas before teaching in this format.
It is highly recommended that faculty take Introduction to Canvas workshop offered by Technology Learning Services prior to participating in this online course. In order to be successful in this course, faculty should know how to:
- Login and navigate a Canvas course
- Create and edit modules
- Build a gradebook by creating assignments and assigning points or weights
- Add content to pages and modules
- Communicate with students using discussions, inbox, and announcements
Certificate of Completion:
Faculty will receive a certificate upon successful completion of all learning deliverables and discussion forum postings by the designated due dates.
TLC Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What will I learn in TLC?
- This course will teach you best practices about online/hybrid pedagogy including the hybrid/online mindset shift, framing and designing a hybrid/online course, active learning strategies, aligned assessments, and ongoing resources.
- Will I learn how to use specific Canvas tools and features?
- No, you will not directly learn to use Canvas tools but you will see best practices of course design from a student's perspective. You will get to experience a well-designed online course to get an idea of how you may want to organize your own course. For workshops on specific Canvas tools, please contact Technology Learning Services. We recommend the following Canvas skills as a prerequisite for TLC:
- login and navigate a Canvas course
- create and edit modules
- build a gradebook by creating assignments and assigning points or weights
- add content to pages and modules
- communicate with students using discussions, inbox and announcements
- Do I have to come to campus for this course?
- No, you do not have to be on campus for any part of this two-week course. You can work from anywhere that you have a computer and a reliable Internet connection. You are welcome to schedule a (virtual or on-campus) appointment with the facilitator if you have any questions.
- How does this online class work? Do I have to be online at a specific time?
- TLC is an asynchronous course, meaning you do not have to be online at a specific time. It is not self-paced. All due dates for deliverables are at midnight to allow you the convenience to work on your own schedule. A course schedule is provided at the beginning of TLC listing when each deliverable is due.
- Who can I contact for assistance before, during, or after the course?
- If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday, January 28, 2019
- All Day Event